Friday, September 17, 2010

Required Reading Begun



I started my self-imposed required house-building reading.

If you have read any of her other books or even watched her television series, you know that Sarah Susanska is not so swayed on the big houses emblematic of the building bubble.  Not because of the economy or even global warming – she simply and passionately believes smaller is better. 

In Creating the Not So Big House, she illustrates how to use space creatively to build a high quality house of substance through twenty-five examples, including innovative floor plans and clear concept descriptions.  Notwithstanding, she may have been even more persuasive if more of the house owners had also hired interior designers.

Now I have the lingo and context to impress our architect.   If you are about to design any size house and don’t already know what spatial layering or visual weight is, then this book could help you create a home to nurture the spirit, but is 1200 square feet really a small home for a single woman?

I am still looking for good reads...what have found helpful/informative/inspiring in designing your favorite spaces? 

6 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite books! I'm glad you decided to dive in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that she's a champion for small spaces! I can't wait to hear more about your house plans! Thanks for your sweet comments on my dining room too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love her stuff! I sent an email to Sarah Susanska with a link to the newspaper article about our home. It gave her credit for inspiring us to build smaller. The guy who wrote the article called our house a "not so big masterpiece". Sarah had her assistant reply with thanks. I agree this book should be required reading for anyone building. Small, smart, simple = comfortable living.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's just about the right size. Enjoy the lovely weekend, Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dream is one day to live in a 2 bedroom cottage somewhere. We have 5 bedrooms and its manic. I really dont like it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a helpful book, even when one is not building or remodeling a house. Have you read A Pattern Language: Towns, Buildings, Construction by Christopher Alexander? It is much more in-depth but wonderful in its own right.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you.